Page 10 - Moreton Village Only Book
P. 10

10 Moreton Village Only

                        chapel were not up to the task and in 1869 the old Chapel was demolished and a new one
                        erected and in 1875 a front porch was added and the building licensed for marriages.

                            A copy of the Anniversary service sheet from the June 1872 Sunday School Service
                        survives. Most of the inhabitants of Moreton at the time were Methodists and the annual
                        Sunday School Anniversary with its services, sports and a tea for the children was one of the
                        highlights of the year in the hamlet.
                                                                 The Mott family had been closely
                                                              associated with the Methodist Chapel from
                                                              its inception and when Isaac Mott – a local
                                                              grocer and Manager of the Chapel, Leader
                                                              of the Moreton Society of Methodists and
                                                              Sunday School Superintendent – died in
                                                              1878, the whole of the Thame Methodist
                                                              Circuit went into mourning. By 1883 there
                                                              were three local Methodist lay preachers in
                                                              Moreton – A. Grace, T. Mott and W. Thorpe
                                                              – and in 1887 the Sunday School celebrated
                                                              its Golden Jubilee and launched an appeal to
                                                              clear the remaining  £70.00 debt on the “new
                                                              Chapel”. The Methodist Chapel continued
                                                              as a place of worship until 1965 and it was
                                                              converted to a private house in 1971.

                                                                 By the mid 1800’s the steam railway was
                                                              the most obvious (as well as the most noisy
                                                              and most smelly) manifestation of the industrial
                                                              revolution that was sweeping through England.
                        October 1858: Isaac Mott with his son Thomas.  The railway was built in the 1860’s and, at
                                                              one point, there were three level crossings
                        between Moreton and Thame. The railway must have come as something of
                        a surprise to the people of Moreton whose usual form of transport was foot, horse, cart or
                        even the dog carts that were popular at the time. A whole new world was opened up and the
                        railway was used to take the children on the Sunday school outing to West Wycombe. The
                        railway could be clearly heard in Moreton where it probably shattered the peace of the rural
                        backwater and probably frightened the horses – not to mention the people! Moreton may
                        also have seen some of the steam-driven farming machinery that was beginning to appear at
                        about the same time but how many of the farm labourers realised that such modernisation
                        would one day cost them their jobs.

                        The Mott Family at Rose Cottage – circa 1898.
   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15