Page 118 - An account of the Lodge of Nine Muses No. 235. 1777 to 2012UGLE
P. 118
118 An Account of the
keeping of the books papers and Archives belonging to the Lodge with an engraved
plate denoting that it belonged to the Lodge of the Nine Muses and that such Box
when provided be left with the Books papers and archives, in the pofsefsion and care
s
of Mefs . Willis the proprietors of the Thatched House – carried unanimously and the
Treasurer undertook to provide a proper box with locks and three keys accordingly.
This box, if it was provided, has disappeared.
[27 February 1818] Ordered that Bro . Turner be requested to employ a
r
person he recommended to repair the Sen Warden’s chair which it appeared had
r
been broken.
Bro. Turner, formerly Secretary, was appointed Junior Warden at this meeting.
[14 April 1835] ... moved ... that a committee be appointed to consider the
state of the furniture and to furnish such as might be necefsary.
A committee consisting of the W.M., Officers and P.M.s was appointed, two
to form a quorum.
[25 April 1835] Persuant to the resolution of the last Lodge & in summonses
from the Sec. the Committee met at 8 o’/clock in the Ev . – The W.M. took the
y
g
Chair. A Deputation of the Committee proceeded with Bro. Dawes the Tyler to
take an inventory of the Furniture when there were found in the pofsefsion of
the Tyler the following articles
3 Old Mahogany Elbow chairs / 3 Brafs Candlesticks/ A Bible & Preston on
Masonry / Silver Square & compass / 3 Ivory Irams / 1 Mahogany D . / 1 Steel
o
Dagger & Case / Ivory Square Plumb & Level / Steel chifsel & Skellet / 2 Small
Mahogany Jewel Boxes /24 Inch Gauge / a Sword/
And in a parallel column on the right-hand side of the page
Jewels / 1 Masters / 1 Senior Warden / 1 Jun . D . / 1 Past Master/Secretary &
r
o
Treasurer / 2 Deacons D . / 1 Master Ceremonies D . / 1 Inner Guard / Hall Medal.
o
o
This is the first inventory which has come down to us.
“Preston on Masonry” was no doubt Bro. William Preston’s Illustrations of
Masonry; first published in 1772 it ran into many editions. The Lodge’s copy has
vanished. The minutes continue: